Independent School Educators network

I tried the reverse teaching / flip the classroom teaching method with my Algebra students.   They were instructed to view a new lesson using the textbook's online video.  Students then worked a few practice problems.   I worked and explained the problems on the board as students checked their steps/solutions.  Students then completed a survey to share their opinions of the reverse teaching method.

1.  40% of the students answered the practice problems correctly. 

2.  Benefits noted by students:  "It makes the student think more"; "I liked writing my own notes so I could understand them"; "Teachers can just answer the things that you don't understand"

3.  Concerns noted by students:  "My grade might drop because I get too frustrated"; "When I looked back (at my notes) I don't know what I meant"; "You can't ask questions";  "The teacher could teach a different way"

4.  60% of the students did not prefer the reverse teaching method;  40% were undecided.

I spent about the same amount of time answering questions about the practice problems as I would have spent teaching the lesson.  Therefore, it was not an effective method to use for new concepts.  I would use this method again only for review concepts.

Views: 130

Replies to This Discussion

I joined the Fliptheclassroom group.  I briefly shared my experience and is looking forward to reading about other experiences and opinions related to reverse teaching. 

Keep me posted on this. I would love to know if you get any brilliant suggestions from others who do this on a regular basis.
Loved reading the student responses. I find this so interesting. I would have assumed the students would like reverse teaching better than the traditional method. Thanks for sharing and making such a diligent attempt at reverse teaching!!

RSS

Latest Activity

Kim Fonville commented on Mike Gwaltney's group PBL Leadership
"My elementary school is considering PBL for next year. Our principal wants us to gather ideas and…"
Mar 15
Kim Fonville joined Mike Gwaltney's group
Mar 15
Joel Josephson posted a discussion
Mar 13
Profile IconIndependent School Educators network now has events
Mar 11
Profile IconIndependent School Educators network now has blogs
Mar 11
Cynthia Solomon is now a member of Independent School Educators network
Mar 8
Joel Josephson posted a discussion