Independent School Educators network

Does anyone have any great ideas for teaching leadership skills in middle school? Thank you.

Views: 303

Replies to This Discussion

The best way, I think, is by action. Give them a problem to solve, or better yet, an event to plan. Put them in charge of everything--plan the date, create a "to do" list, find the adult supervision involved, budget, plan, run, etc.
Hi Sarah,
It would be great for them to lead the younger boys in a project. Plus have you seen this new book:
http://www.researchpress.com/product/item/5530/
I haven't seen it but I like the word "empowering" in the title.

Perhaps through cooperative learning?  You could give students specific jobs within each group that give them some kind of responsibility over the group's activities as a whole.

We have a Leadership Club for grades 5-8. They work on planning and running student-led assemblies once a month. We also have Leadership Lunches once a month where we bring in an outside speaker who has a pizza lunch with a small group (12) of students who sign up for the lunch. This is new this year, but seems to be popular. The idea is for the students to hear from someone who is a leader - in any way or path of life. We are trying to promote a culture of every student is a leader. We sent three teachers to a Leadership conference at National Cathedral School last May; they came back with some great ideas.

RSS

Latest Activity

Kim Fonville commented on Mike Gwaltney's group PBL Leadership
"My elementary school is considering PBL for next year. Our principal wants us to gather ideas and…"
Mar 15
Kim Fonville joined Mike Gwaltney's group
Mar 15
Joel Josephson posted a discussion
Mar 13
Profile IconIndependent School Educators network now has events
Mar 11
Profile IconIndependent School Educators network now has blogs
Mar 11
Cynthia Solomon is now a member of Independent School Educators network
Mar 8
Joel Josephson posted a discussion